Keep your Building Projects Safe and Sustainable with the RRCA

May 3, 2024

A recent project involving a watercourse alteration within the RRCA jurisdiction.

Are you planning a building project near water? The Raisin Region Conservation Authority (RRCA) is reminding property owners in its jurisdiction in Cornwall and surrounding area of SDG that, under the Conservation Authorities Act, certain development activities within or adjacent to watercourses and wetlands are regulated by the RRCA and may require a permit.

“These regulations are in place to protect people and property,” says Lissa Deslandes, RRCA Regulations Officer. “Obtaining the proper permit for your project through the RRCA is essential to ensure your investment is safe from potential natural hazards like erosion, flooding, ice heaving, unstable soil, and more.”

Activities near watercourses or wetlands which may require a permit from the RRCA include constructing buildings or structures, changing existing terrain grade, adding or removing material, and altering the existing channel of a watercourse.

“If you are planning a project on your property and are not sure if a permit from the RRCA is required, simply give us a call,” says Deslandes. “We have a straightforward and user-friendly permitting process to help you move your plans ahead while also giving you the peace of mind that your building project is safe, sustainable, and compliant with RRCA regulations.”

Current or prospective landowners can also learn more about a specific property through RRCA’s property inquiry service, which provides information on potential natural hazards.

For more information, and to access permit applications, property inquiry forms, and the RRCA’s current fee schedule, go to or contact (613) 938-3611 or